Thursday, March 29, 2012

First Cake Pops

These cake pops represent just regular frogs, but I swear I heard one of them singing.

And so begins my foray into cake pops.

Thanks, Mom, for this hardware:

I have big plans for this babycakes cake pop maker.  It has a dozen little wells that you fill with batter and then close and bake for about 5 minutes.  I'm thinking muffin batter, maybe even polenta would be nice too.  This is no unitasker.  The chocolate melter is nice too.  Neither is required, though, to make cake pops, as described in Bakerella's Cake Pops, which my mom was also kind enough to give to me, and which provided the instructions for these here frogs.

This picture shows the undipped cake balls.  You can see the half from the top half of the cake pop maker is less brown than the bottom.  These are yummy on their own, and with my next batch, I plan to inject some jelly in the middle after they are cooked and roll them in some powdered sugar, without the sticks.  The frogs kind of seem like they're chilling out in a hot tub time machine, but maybe that's just me.

I melted the green candy coating (from Michael's) in the chocolate melter, but a microwave should work too.  Bakerella has instructions for the best dipping method, so I tried to follow that.

As you see, the eyes are made out of Cheerios and not candy necklace pieces as the book suggested.  I do not have any candy necklaces, but as the mother of a 10-month old, I have lots of Cheerios.  They are whole grain, so these cake pops are also healthy.

The marks on the frogs are not from a Sharpie, in case you hadn't guessed.  I got some edible ink pens.  I heard the ones they sell at Michael's aren't so hot, so I got these, which seem to work great:

And while I was at it, I got some more cake decorating supplies, so I guess I know where this is going.

3 comments:

  1. yes... whole wheat cheerios make all the difference! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I think I heard the end of their song: "the Rainbow Connection...the lovers, the dreamers, and Jacob and me." Love the froggies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, this is so cool! How is it that I didn't know that this kitchen gadget existed??? I want! Your froggies look awesome!

    ReplyDelete